Friday 18 July 2014

Harness Asset Management

I am really proud to have been appointed to the Investment Committee at Harness Asset Management. The fund has been established by Nigel Littlewood and we are based at Macquarie St here in Sydney. Nigel and I have known each other for over ten years having some brief dealings when Nigel was CEO of MMC Asset Management but more notably I took over Nigel's job as CEO of The Rivkin Report in 2008 when the ASX was at all time highs. He went on holiday and in my new role got a real baptism by fire thanks to the ensuing GFC. I have almost forgiven him for that. 

I left that role at the end of 2012 and started this blog at the same time with the firm view of honing my investment style and using that skill to build my family's self managed superannuation fund into a genuine wealth creation vehicle to firstly provide my parents with a great retirement income so they can do the things they want and to build the fund into a seriously big portfolio over the next 20-30 years when it will be my time to fully retire (I'm 40). I'm on track, but I still have a lifetime of things to learn. 

Because I have a lot on the line, I take my investments seriously. If I buy shares in a company, I'm legally part of owner of that company and I expect management to act both morally and in the interests of the owners of the company. If not, I'm happy to go on the offensive if the upside is warranted.  

We focus mostly on small Australian listed companies. It's quite un-original to say that the  smaller end of the market is under-researched, but it's 100% true.  

We're value investors. We're value investors because it works. Throughout history, the bulk of the outstanding investors come from the the value school. There are exceptions to this, of course. For example I went to the Monaco GP this year and plonked in front of the apartment we were staying in was a monster yacht owned by the co-CEO of Renaissance Technologies: the US hedge fund manager who employ super smart cookies sniffing out and exploiting pricing anomalies. Unfortunately we're not super smart and prefer to just buy things on the cheap and wait for the market to re-rate them. 

We're always on the sniff for bargains and love networking both here and overseas looking for insights and ideas. Please don't hesitate to contact if you have further queries or want to discuss ideas. 

Kristian 

No comments:

Post a Comment