Thursday 27 June 2013

My encounter with Ray Martin

My business partner and I landed in Heathrow, nice and jet lagged from Sydney. After passing through customs and getting our bags, my business partner started walking, fiddling on his phone while I followed him like a sheep in a daze. One of Australia's most famous and respected journalists, Ray Martin, sat behind on us on the flight and as happens on these 23 hour journeys you get to recognise the people around you. As we were walking, Mr Martin came up to us and asked us for the baggage carousel number. We mumbled 'number 2'.  He said thank you. We then continued walking only to realise we had somehow managed to miss the big green Exit sign and were literally walking straight towards a dead end. We felt like a couple of half-wits.  

The encounter with Ray Martin prompted some thinking. I watched A Current Affair when I was younger when Ray Martin hosted the show. However, for me the most memorable episode was before Mr Martin's time when Jana Wendt hosted the programme. It was an interview about winning control of Fairfax with three people (two journalists and a then Fairfax supporter) against Kerry Packer in his famously fierce form. I remember feeling sorry for the triplet...


Kristian 

No comments:

Post a Comment