Saturday 27 April 2013

Australia and US property yield comparison

I'm looking at an investment property in a regional town just outside of Sydney. It's  a townhouse in a nice area, has several nearby industries and attractions. It also has personal use potential as it is near my hobby, so this isn't a story about the best investment property by any stretch. This property is cheap compared to Sydney. For overseas readers: if you want a gauge of Sydney prices, you can pretty much double to triple the prices I am about quote. 

At the same time, I have been fascinated by US house prices and spent many-a-night looking at prices, rents, cost psqm, demographic movements etc. In a textbook case of not-backing-myself, I have yet to actually go over to the US and make a decision. In the meantime, I receive al sorts of weird and wonderful email 'deals' about how cheap I can buy a property. I can only imagine some of these operators are genuine and some not so genuine. I don't know which is which.  

Anyway, I received some numbers on an Atlanta property for sale. The figures didn't include vacancy rates, so I have just stuck 5% in for the sake of it. The table below compares the US property figures with the figures of the investment property here: 


These figures exclude income tax and finance (if available).

Caveats galore: I don't know if the US property figures are in anyway accurate. I don't know the risks. I don't know the local issues. I don't know the area. I don't know what the true maintenance costs are over there. I am simply going off the numbers and local area prospects they quote at this stage. I also have no idea about the currency. 

As it turns out, the net income is about the same and the US property is almost one third of the price. 

But saying all that, the numbers are massively different. No wonder private equity groups are buying up this stuff by the truck load - and just watch how retail investors will be offered this stuff a few years down the track when property is on the up and up. 

I'm probably going to the US later in the year to check this out good and proper. 

Any thoughts appreciated. 

5 comments:

  1. Real Estate Investment is a type of business that we should invest with our hard earned money to gain and earn money fast. If we have the right decisions then it will not give problems on us. Do something like learning new things about this investment.

    http://realestate-investments-in-australia.blogspot.com/2013/05/property-investments.html/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kiel,

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Kristian

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really nice post. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in sharing this. Keep sharing..
    Property Investment Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb post, Most of us take pleasure in any individual and her or his fantastic post. Your own post is reasonably beneficial in my opinion. I want to view the subsequent post. Kind regards about producing.
    US Property Investment education tour

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mind-blowing stuff here. I guess this is one of the best guides provided regarding real estate investment. This wonderful content may help you at many ways. Since every property will definitely give a big revenue for each person since property value always increases every year!

    Wallaroo

    ReplyDelete